The flaw was a result of a new watch face I'd found. I loved it because of it's modern look. This is the back of the same kind of watch face. The nylon-covered wire that I used in the original design wore quite quickly against the holes. This attachment system is not the regular one used on other watch faces. How could I attach a bracelet without having the wire touch the sharp holes?
The fix involved using 22 gauge sterling wire wraps against the sharp holes (which I sanded down a bit in hopes of less wear & tear). I added some sterling beads to accent the design. I won't be using this style of watch face again without using sterling wire wraps in the holes! I may also let my friend wear this one for awhile before trying this type of watch face again.
The second repair/reconstruction of 2010 involved a bracelet that I did not make. I wish I had - it's cool!
The owner found that the charms were starting to fall
off. After examining the bracelet, it was no wonder!
These are the old o-rings/jump rings used to attach the charms. (In the photo below). The larger bright silver one in the photo is the kind that I replaced them all with.
The original jump rings were not thick enough to last long. I pounded the new jump rings with a vintage hammer to give them strength and texture to match the look of the original bracelet. I also used two sets of pliers to gently rock each jump ring back and forth a few times in order to add strength before closing them.
This handy youtube video from www.artbeads.com demonstrates the correct way to open and close a jumpring:
Hearing the "click" when the two ends meet is very important.